Thursday, December 6, 2007

Picking a name for our B&B was easy. I had been a bird lover for many years and had quite a collection of bird statues, pictures, all types of bird knick knacks. Also, for many years we had stayed at a cottage in Wellfleet called the Owl's Nest. It was very neat, well equipped and decorated with owls. It had a large deck that overlooked Wellfleet Harbor and I had many good memories of our stays there. So, we became the Bird's Nest B&B each room with a bird motif. Pricing was a bit harder so I turned to Phyllis Gardner who at that time was running the Pink House B&B in Annandale at Bard College. She shared with me her reservation and billing form and advised "You have to charge more than a motel does." "Also," she warned, "No matter what, don't let them make you lower the price." I've had to remember her advice many times over the years. "Do you have a Senior discount?" "No," I answer, "I am a Senior". "Do you have a lower rate on a weekday?""No, it is just as much work for me on a Monday as it is on a Saturday." "Do you have a Bard (Omega, etc) discount?" I just answer no since I already charge less than most of the local B&B's. Also, we don't have the two day minimum that has become so popular within the last few years. I personally do NOT like the two day minimum. Say you are coming for a wedding late on Saturday and only want to spend Saturday night. Why should you have to book for Friday as well? One year my daughter Maria made a cute sign for me "Two Day Maximum" when I had some demanding people that stayed a week. Anyway, the question that Timmy snickers at is "Do you charge for children?" Since he handles the garbage end of it, he knows how much extra garbage children make with diapers and all. And kids today wear diapers until they are about five. We get other questions besides the pricing as well. Some of my favorites are: (1) Do you have windows? They must have stayed in somebody's cellar once. (2) Can my girlfriend sun bathe in the nude on the deck? Well, my neighbors boys would probably like that (3) Can I bring my dog? He is very well behaved and only weighs 50 pounds. (I can do a whole posting on pets - but, no we do not allow dogs.) And my favorite came this summer (4) Do you have bed bugs? I laughed then and I'm laughing now. I should have said, "Why of course, the biggest you will ever see and we don't charge extra for them."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me laugh out loud. Keep 'em coming.

The Bagges