Friday, January 18, 2008

Does anybody remember the song, "June in January"? Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Jo Stafford all had a version of it, and as my family had albums from all these artists, I'm not sure which one I heard as a kid. But June in January has been stuck in my head, even as I wore my socks to bed last night. Growing up, my sister Barbara and I slept in an attic room - no heat - and I can remember my mother would iron the sheets before we jumped into the bed. A few years back one of our B&B guests asked me if I had a hot water bottle she could borrow. "They're so comforting", she explained but I didn't own one. Soon after I sent away for one and sure enough she was right, it is very comforting and keeps the tootsies warm for hours. Another guest once wanted the heat on in June. I turn the Emergency Switch to the furnace "off" in June. I had to do this because people were runing the air conditioner and the heat would go on. One time I heard the furnace running, the air conditioner running and they had all the windows and front door open. My face flushed, my heart beat fast and my blood pressure went to a new high and at that point I realized I just had to shut the furnace completely off. Anyway, this one time we had a couple from Texas and I must admit it was a chilly day for June, but when we brought breakfast up, he said they needed heat. "Last night my wife was so cold I had to put her in a hot tub." I got an instant visualization....she's frozen solid, he runs to her and says, hang on, I can help, fills the bathtub to the top corner with hot water, gently carries her from the bedroom to the tub where he gradually sinks her cold, frozen blue body into the tub. I still can see this. And I did relent that time and turned the heat back on. I remember another cold night in June - June 1972. It was Tivoli's Centennial. 100 years since the people of the villages of Tivoli and Madalin were united, incorporated into one village. It was a big deal for the village - three days and nights of activity, starting with a Miss Tivoli contest on Friday night at the Legion Hall. Saturday the tenth was the big day, track and drum and bugle corps competition at Memorial Park, old time movies at Legion Hall, pie baking contest and at 3 o'clock the centennial parade down Broadway. My daughters Maria and Laura marched with the scouts and Ham Fish waved to the crowd from an open car. And the festivities continued the next day with a full day of entertainment and music. Finally at 7:00pm the Hudson Valley Philharmonic played on a large stage that was brought into town. I remember the music, but most of all I remember it was cold, cold enough to see your breath and kids were wearing heavy jackets and wool hats. Another note, the three days were planned and coordinated by Bernie Tieger, a Bard College sociology teacher, now retired and running the Village Books bookstore. I can't imagine the work that must have gone into a three-day wide celebration. My hat is off to you Bernie....even though it is January and you need something on your head.

No comments: