Thursday, April 24, 2008

My life the last five weeks since Maria's death reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day" - in which Bill Murray is stuck in that day, waking up each morning to the same day. However, I'm not stuck in a day, I'm stuck in Holy Week. Palm Sunday, Maria brings over St. Patty Day cupcakes, sits on the couch laughing with Solomon about fart jokes. Monday in Holy Week, the phone call, the police car in Maria's driveway, waiting for the Medical examiner, the yellow room. Tuesday in Holy Week, the funeral plans, the coffin room, all the details. Wednesday in Holy Week, the day off, obituary in the paper, everyone over looking through albums picking out pictures for the photo boards, Maureen arrives from Bellingham, we take a breath for what's ahead. Holy Thursday, the viewing, 93 year old Mrs. Izzo waiting to see Maria ("I would have taken a bus to see Maria"),the long hours, the breakdown chairs, the tears, the hugs. Good Friday, a repeat of Holy Thursday, pall bearers are chosen, the packed room, more tears, more hugs. Holy Saturday, the last moments in the funeral home, Jodi takes a picture of the sisters, Rachael cuts her hair, the church, the priest is perfect, the speakers are wonderful, Sabra causes the church to roar with laughter.."Maria loved Martha", the cemetery, the bagpiper, people stay and stay, unwilling to leave. Then, instead of heading to Easter, I swing right back into Palm Sunday and the weeks go by, five of them now, but today is still Thursday and I'm back in the funeral home. Maybe you have to do this, get stuck in your sorrow, go over and over it, until you get it out of your system. When the movie "Groundhog Day" came out, people laughed, enjoyed the humor, but there was more to it than that. The movie has grown to become what the National Film Registry calls "culturally historical" and "aesthetically significant". Religious students watch the movie as part of their class. Bill Murray learns from the days' repetition and I have to believe that, like Bill Murray, I will learn from being stuck in Holy Week - what I'll learn, I'm not sure, but I think my mind has a purpose. So I head into Good Friday tomorrow, but someday, someday, it will just be Friday.

2 comments:

Michael/Laura said...

Mom, You hit the nail on the head! I had never even heard of Holy Week before this (Maria's death) and now I live it every day. Nice to know that we are all still holding tight. I think I may be here for awhile...in Holy Week....good company...Love to all.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Linda and family, I hope and pray you can all take solace that every day is now Easter for your beautiful Maria. We are suffering in our great loss but she is rejoicing in her beautiful, new life. All love, peace, and comfort sent out to you all, K