Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day Bucky - a salute to my Mother. I remember my childhood very vividly mostly because of Bucky. I didn't know it then, but Bucky was different. She would let my sister Barbara and I put on iceskates and "skate" on the living room rug. She would put on a Danube Waltz record and we were Sonya Hennie skating in circles, doing dips to the music. One snowy day I was in the house sick, complaining that I was missing all the fun of playing in the snow. Bucky opened the kitchen widow (we lived upstairs over my grandmother), scooped up a bowlful of snow and put it on the kitchen table. She pulled out cookie cutters, little bowls, spoons and I got to play in the snow. I loved the Curious George book and we took it repeatedly out of the library, until the librarian told us this was the last time, other people had to have a chance to take out this book. Bucky muttered, but had a plan and she took the book home and pulled out her typewriter and copied the entire book. We didn't need to borrow the book, she would read from those pages and it was as good as the book to me. I had a small painted turtle from the circus and he was always escaping from his bowl. Bucky had a solution, and tied a piece of thread still attached to the spool to the turtle. Now, she said, all we have to do is follow the thread and we can find him anywhere he goes. Unfortunately, he went under the rug and somebody stepped on him. The turtle survived, but he had blood red eyes for quite a while. Bucky grew morning glories inside the living room windows. She put up strings and the flowers climbed the window, amazing to me. Bucky could knit and crochet. She put crochet trim around handkerchiefs, and made rag rugs, using a giant wooden crochet hook. She let me make the strips for the rug, cutting up strips from old clothes and I would sew up one side, using her pedal sewing machine. For our birthday parties, and we each had one every year, she would take tissue paper, a glass ash tray, and folded the paper in a certain way until it made a perfect candy holder, which she would fill with colored mints. When my father would bring home a "It's a boy" cigar from work, she would light it up and let us all take a puff. We would all laugh, puffing away, handing the cigar from kid to kid...there were finally six of us. But the best, the very best, were her stories. She had tragedies, comedies, histories, you name it - stories about everything. And it didn't matter if we heard it before, in fact it enhanced it...we knew what was coming. Bucky had six kids but she knew how to treat herself good, with reading, with playing solitaire in the morning until she won a game, with sunning in the back yard. She was dramatic, Daddy would call her Sarah Bernhardt, and shocking...at Christmas she would put on her bathing suit and sit in front of the Christmas tree and Daddy would grab his camera and get a picture of this. Even her name, all my friends call their mothers, Mommy, Mom or Ma, I was the only one who had a different name for my mother. God Bless you Bucky, I love you with all my heart , this Mother's Day more than ever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Linda, for the wonderful memories of our beautiful, and, yes, so very unique, mother. I have a couple of mine, I would like to add... Bucky carrying my heavy saxophone to school on band days for me so I didn't have to. Her letting us stay home from school for any reason at all..and then making us feel so special-by serving us tea and toast slathered in butter as we snuggled up on the couch with her under one of her afghans.Is it no wonder that to this day when I am not feeling well, all I want is my mother? I love you, Mom! Peace and light and hope to us all, K

Michael/Laura said...

Well you did her proud Linny! You gave us the best childhood a kid could ask for, doing many of the same things with us and a few choice creative ones on your own. I know no one else who had a pinta every Christmas eve, or to this day still gets stockings filled with treats at Christmas, baskets at Easter, candy at Valentines or ever did school bus theater! Thanks Ma

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linda for sharing your loving memories of your mother. I have been thinking of my mother--and my father too--for the past few days. Both of them were born in May, both in 1906. I am grateful to them both for the rich life I have now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Linda, I had to smile at those beautiful memories of our very special Bucky! Some of them I never heard before, so thank you. Here is one of mine: I was the Props Mistress for our High School play, and one of the props was a "real" stuffed dog. Bucky got all excited and wanted to help me be the best Prop Mistress ever by acquiring an authentic stuffed dog. She called every taxidermist to see if she might locate one. Everyone she spoke to said in a shocked voice, "Lady, that is disgusting, no one does that anymore!" Thanks for trying, Bucky. I love you and miss you.Love, M.