Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Well, it's almost Christmas, the doubloon has been found, I might get to hibernate after all. Team Ria has been such a plus in our lives....the well wishers from afar have filled my heart. But, what a difference a year makes. Last year on this blog I wrote about our first Christmas on Clay Hill Road, when Maria was five and sick with a fever and she and I stayed up on Christmas Eve, surprising a mouse and laughing about it. Maria wrote on that blog..."one of my favorite memories..because I liked having you to myself on Christmas Eve." That was Maria. Years ago she had a bumper sticker on her car that read "Practice Random Acts of Kindness" and Ria intuitively knew how to do that. Her cards were always perfectly selected and she added the right words, whether in humor or in love. At her funeral my brother pulled out a birthday card she had sent him of an old man holding up an ugly animal, a giant possum, and inside she had written, "The critter on the front is probably the only animal that doesn't live on our third floor." We laughed at that together. Two years ago she gave me a prayer book for Christmas, and had inscribed to "Mom, A copy of Aunt Lillian's prayer book for you with all my Love, Maria" and that was Ria, not just love, but ALL my love. Since her death so many people have sent me cards with her words, always so appropriate and loving or told me of the little things she had sent to them at dark times of their lives. Last night I thought of her before going to sleep, as I usually do, but this time I said in my head, "Good night, Maria, wherever you are" and I had to smile because I remembered Jimmy Durante saying "Good Night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are" at the end of each of his performances. I looked it up today because I thought it must have been someone very dear to him to acknowledge her that way and was surprised at the story. Mrs. Calabash owned a restaurant that he stopped at in Calabash, South Carolina at an early stage in his career. He was impressed with her kindness and as he left he said he would make her famous one day. Her daughter said she didn't even know that she was talking with Jimmy Durante. And so it was that Lucy Coleman became the famous Mrs. Calabash announced in his routine sign off. I guess that just goes to show you that kindness can be repaid, and repaid in a dramatic way. Team Ria's crown will be used in a way that commemorates Maria's spirit of kindness and giving. So this eve of Christmas Eve, I say Merry Christmas and God Bless and Merry Christmas Maria, wherever you are.

3 comments:

Michael/Laura said...

Merry Christmas Eve Mom,
You made me laugh and cry, I remember that card to Uncle Bob, and have run across many myself that she has sent to me over the years. Merry Christmas Ria! All our Love!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Linda and family, all thoughts and prayers are sent your way. I pray you wake up to a Christmas morning full of peace, hope, and warm, wonderful memories of Maria. I ,too, received that beautiful little prayer book from Maria two years ago-the first Christmas after David's strokes. Maria wrote "This is a copy of Aunt Lillian's favorite prayer book. I love it and hope you do too." I do love it and keep it my bedside so I can reach out for it on sleepless nights just as I can reach out for the beautiful memories of your beautiful daughter. Merry Christmas all. Love, K

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda, I read your entry after Christmas Eve and hope that Ria's love and memories cradled you all day with peace and comfort. I wasn't going to put up a tree this year but our brother convinced me to. When I hung up those decorations Ria had made and mailed so many years ago, I felt so loved and the moment felt so precious. I could feel her joy saying "Yes, we all need the magis of Christmas this year." I put a special Santa, old and tattered given to me by Bill's Aunt Ruth next to Ria's picture. I knew she would understand and appreciate the gesture. Our beautiful Angel lives in our hearts and is still giving us so much joy. Peace and love. M