Sunday, October 25, 2009

Last week in Cape Cod we spent a lot of time indoors listening to the radio and CD's. Two songs brought me to tears, Eva Cassady singing Autumn Leaves (I dare you to listen to that with a dry eye) and "Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?" (I always let out a few tears at that one - the Kennedy's are still like family.) Yesterday my old friend Margaret died and the song that keeps going through my head is "Piano Man".

Margaret and I were carpooling to Dutchess Community College, oh back in the late 70's or early 80's. One night she turned to me and asked if I had heard this song Piano Man? She praised the song, the lyrics, the singer, an unknown to me - Billy Joel. "..when I wore a younger man's clothes", she quoted some of the words. The following days I listened to the radio and finally got to hear the song, a song that was sad, an encompassing all the lonliness of the world, but also the hope that a piano man and his song can bring.."we're in the mood for a melody, and youve got us feeling alright".

In 2001 Margaret and my sisters went on a mini cruise from New York City to Nova Scotia. Margaret was a riot, attending every show, finding every ice cream station, attending yoga classes, my sisters and I were amazed at her sheer energy and ability to stay up late at night. (We all were ready for bed at 8:00.) But Margaret was like the Enigizer Rabbit, on the go, exploring every inch of the boat. She would report back to us her findings and one day she told us about a piano bar and how great the piano man was. It was late at night she advised, knowing of our early to bed, early to rise habit. Maureen and I steered ourselves, made it to ten o'clock and went to the piano bar. Sure enough, there he was - just like Billy Joel sang about him, taking requests, and playing each one. He had a miniature hoop, like a basketball hoop and when people requested a certain song, they would throw a couple of dollars in it. Maureen and I drank Fundador (which was to become my favorite drug of choice) and listened as long as we could keep our eyes open.

Thank you Margaret for Piano man and all the good times we shared. Rest in peace. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first read of Margaret's passing, Linda, I had two very vivid memories. The first one was of that cruise where Margaret embraced every minute-early and late-with such gusto. I remember how she loved eating around the clock ( her with that long, lean frame) and would tell us of all the goodies we were missing because we would not stay up for the Midnight Buffet. The second one was of her favorite gray African parrot which she had with her at one of your parties. David wanted to hold it and we asked if it would fly away. 'Oh, never," replied Margaret. Well, as soon as it was taken from the cage, off the bird flew higher than the tree tops and houses. We all stood with our mouths opened in amazement. Margaret did not seem upset, just surprised.Luckily, he didn't go far and Margaret soon had her beloved bird in her hands and then in his cage. Peace and Light and Blessings to you, Margaret, in your new flight. K