Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Next week my classes start and one of them is titled "Dystopian Works", we are reading books about the opposite of Utopia. And Japan is a good example of this right now. But let me tell you what I read last night. I was reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and this passage jumped out at me. "Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away." And a little further on "Grandfather's been dead for all these years, but if you lifted my skull, by God, in the convolutions of my brain you'd find the big ridges of his thumbprint." Now Maria left a million things, kind letters, an "invisiblity cloth" for Timmy to wear to family functions, a book for me titled "How to be a Guest at the Bird's Nest B&B", a collage of Mothers- Grandma Burky holding Bucky, Bucky, holding me, and me holding Maria.... I could go on and on, you probably could add something to the list if you knew Maria, because that was just the way she was. Three years is a long time, and it is a blink of an eye. Today is a beautiful day and I am going to wish everyone I see Happy St. Patrick's Day. God Bless. Rest in peace Maria.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Linda, thinking so much of you and the family today. Your words are perfect, as always...As for me, the thing I have that Maria "left behind" is a Courage pin she made me with a picture of the lion from the Wizard of Oz. She sent it to me after David has his strokes and he was still in the hospital and in a very, very bad way. Sarah and I would take turns wearing it when we went to see him. Maria, we love you and miss you. K

Tivoli Bird's Nest said...

Kathy, thank you so much for sharing that...she never mentioned that to me, but that was so much like her. I smile thinking of you wearing the courage pin...she was something else, that girl. Linda

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda, You said what is in all our hearts. Maria touched us all in so many special ways. I remember at my wedding how happy I was that she was there. I kept hugging her and telling her how much it meant for me to have her share the day with us. She said, "I have never felt so loved." That is what Maria has left for all of us, how much she loved us all and all the love that just radiated around her. I'm sending her hugs and more love today and to you too. Love, M.