Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I've always believed in prayer, and especially since Ria died I have prayed even more. I have a whole list of relatives and friends that I pray for and lately I have even added two dogs to the list. The dogs are my neighbors' dogs, Irene's old dog Stray and Tony across the street dog whose name I never can remember. Stray appeared more than 15 years ago, running through the neighborhood with a dog catcher in pursuit. Irene hid the dog until the dog catcher must have decided to look elsewhere. Stray, as they named her, was in tough shape. Mal nourished, yet full of milk with swollen teats, she must have just given birth. Anyway, Irene nursed her back to health and has had her all these years. A few months ago it didn't look good for Stray, in fact so bad, they dug a hole for her burial in the front yard, next to the other dog buried there. I told them I would pray for the dog and I started that night. The same with Tony's dog...he said I thought we would have to put her down she can barely walk. Tony sadly built a ramp going up the front steps so the dog could hobble in and out. I said I would prayer for his dog and added him to the list.

Tony's Mom had a rough year, broken hip, medication problems, confusion, etc, the doctor's told the family she might not make it to Thanksgiving. She went on my list. Now here is where it gets good. The empty hole is still in the front yard. Stray got stronger and is no longer on death row. Tony's dog also is doing better, walks freely around the house with the frisbee in her mouth, looking pretty good. And Tony's Mom - Sabra recently said, "Ma, you can stop praying for Sybil - she looks wonderful and even has a new boyfriend." When she visited Sabra's house over the holiday, Tony later remarked "Did you see that ring on my mother's finger? It looked like an engagement ring."

Last week I got Timmy's cold, a real dinger, the kind with a cough that doesn't even sound human, like a dog or a trapped animal. Sore, sore throat, grocery bag full of used kleenex, the works. So here's the ticket. Aunt Lillian and Uncle Phil always said you can never pray for yourself, it must always be for others.

So here I am, with this powerful prayer stuff and I am trying to see if I can sneak around the rule. Please God, help me find a way to stop coughing. It doesn't work. Too bad dogs can't pray - I would ask those two dogs across the street to give me a hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,
Hope you are feeling better....
we are all praying for you....
Love always,
"Beacon"

Anonymous said...

Linda, You are at the top of my prayer list.I pray for everyone and ask everyone to pray for me. I even asked Guide Post prayer volunteers to pray that God would send me a dog to love after Ty left me so suddenly; and lo and behold, Ginger(now called Lily) has entered my life. Prayer is powerful-just look at beautiful, little Orson and David. Praying for your cold and cough to disappear,love lots, K

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda, I know you pray for me and I will do the same for you. I think I have your cold, but just the cough. I cough at night alot and can't sleep. I pray for K's new dog and Judd to love her. You can pray for my old cat Runt, 20 year old. The other night I accidentally knocked him out of bed. I thought oh no, those old bones, but he is fine. I like to hug him at night and pet him to I fall asleep. He purrs when I hold him close and cuddle with him under the covers. Please pray that Runt and I will have lots more snuggle time. Love, M.