Thursday, April 5, 2012

Holy Week and the temperatures have returned to normal, no more summer weather. I knew it wouldn't last, the juncos had not left. These are the little birds, wearing black capes, that love the cold weather. They knew, even if the flowers and trees didn't know. The juncos are still here, so I would imagine there will be frost right up into May as usual.

The warm weather did get me weeding and I managed to get into poison ivy. First my right hand, so bad I had to take off my rings. Then it appeared on my legs (that's what I get for putting on shorts in March). Finally, on my arms. Not all over, but enough that I had calamine lotion in spots all over like I was splattered with white paint. Now it is almost better, just the scars of itching, itching that was worse at night.

This has been a strange Lent. I can't help but associate Holy Week with Ria's death, and it is all tied in with St. Patrick's Day, so a few days after March 17, I was in the grocery store and they were selling Hot Cross Buns, and I thought "Boy, they're gonna have some trouble getting rid of Easter bakeries after Easter" and then I realized we had a way to go before Easter came and went. But we've almost made it, tomorrow is Good Friday.

My classes started last week and I am having some fun and some trouble reading Borges. I am also taking a religious course, Villains or Heroes and Paul was our first subject. Don't get Timmy on that subject! My third class is Chekov, reading "The Three Sisters". Enough to keep me busy and finally out of Lent.

No comments: