Friday, August 30, 2013

Labor Day weekend, the end of summer, how does it happen so fast?  Back from Cape Cod, the wisteria on the Bird's Nest has grown tendrils three feet long, Maria's grave is a mixture of flowers, sunflowers that are tall as I am, cosmos, pink and white, also tall, zinnias -large and small, marigolds, the same, large and small.  The plants are so thick that today a rabbit was hiding among the flowers and I didn't see him until he ran out when I watered.

Cape Cod's two weeks flew by - the first week with Sabra and family, Maureen there until Wednesday.  O'Leary's yearly visit, the girls prettier than ever, John and Debbie carrying cases of beer for us.  This year Samuel Adams, Maureen favored the blueberry summer mixture and both Maureen and I enjoyed the fundador in bed so much that the bottle was emptied way too soon.  The second week Diane, Kathy, Sarah and year old Orson filled the cabin - Orson exploring every corner but my bedroom.  Considering that he might feel the presence of a ghost, I tried to coax him in, and after I did, it became his favorite spot to explore, finding the Anisette [fundador replacement], opening it and spilling it on his shirt.  Just like licorice.  Like every kid he loved the beach, sand and waves.  We all did.

The water was wonderful, warm and very swimmable, we had a full moon, and the first night there we had fireworks as Wellfleet celebrated its 250 birthday.  Beautiful fireworks sitting on the beach, right in front of the cabin.  Lots of seafood from Hatches, lobsters, clams, steamers, smoked bluefish and the big scallop surrounded with roe.  Also, Sushi and really good pizzas, and clam chowder from the Lighthouse that got an A+ from Diane, Kathy and me.  But back to reality.  People three days this weekend as Bard's students return, another sign of the passing of summer.  In less than a week I'll be on Sabra's porch watching Henry get on the school bus.  Well, I do have Oysterfest to look forward to in October.  The way things are going, it will be here before I know it.


1 comment:

Tivoli Bird's Nest said...

I forgot to tell you about the great game the Bagges and I played on the beach. A sand castle was made, and we waited for the tide to take it, placing stones on the turrets, to see who was the last one standing. Time and tide wait for no one.