Thursday, August 28, 2014

I had to get my car inspected this week.  I said I'd wait for it since I burned out my knees last week at the fair.   (I used to walk into Red Hook and look around for an hour.)  So for an hour and twenty minutes I sat in Vin's auto window listening to country music playing loud on the radio.  Now anyone who knows me, knows I hate country music.  When I had my MRI, they asked what kind of music would you like piped in? and I answered, "Anything, but country."  And here I was, literally a prisoner of country music.

Timmy once said he was brought up on two kinds of music - his uncles and mother liked country and his father liked polka music, all polka music.  This made me think what we had as music growing up.  My first thought was Spike Jones...his music was classic - horns, hoots, bangs, whistles, all between jokes like:  a bear sleeps in his bear skin, he sleeps very well I am told, last night I slept in my little bear skin, and I got a heck of a cold. I just looked up Spike Jones on youtube and if you watch Cocktails for 2 with the City Slickers in a 1945 movie clip - I dare you not to laugh. 

Anyway, I was listening to the music, and trying to do SUDOKO - and then I heard the song about a man on a plane, it was to be his honeymoon plane trip, but he was alone and the refrain was "getting drunk on a plane",  Well, I started tapping my toe and you know, it wasn't that bad.  I looked that up too on youtube and it is done by Dierks Bently and the video is also worth looking at. I think I am being reborn at the age of 72.

No comments: