Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Christmas lights are on the front trellis, and I see their reflection on the ceiling of my bedroom after I shut the light off.  Trying a new audio for a break from the Woosters, I rented Neil Gaiman's short stories "Trigger Warning" and the title should have tipped me off.  Trigger Warning - short fictions and disturbances.  They are disturbing and after hearing them, watching the lights flicker on the ceiling is calming. 

On the night of March 17, 2008 I was lying in bed.  What a day the whole experience had been, I kept playing if over and over in my head, trying to make sense of it.  Then I yelled down to Timmy "Put on the Christmas lights" and he didn't even question my request, just went on the porch and plugged in the lights on the trellis which had never been taken down after Christmas.  Those light lit up the ceiling and I thought that now Maria could see us.  It made me feel closer to her and that was just what I needed. 

Winter is a dark and like Neil's stories, as the cover puts it, waits for us in the dark corridors of our lives.  Let there be light.  

No comments: