Monday, June 13, 2016

Lately, either on Tuesday or Thursday, I get a chance to watch my great grandson, Cove, who just turned one. His mom goes to exercise and it is only about an hour and a half.   He comes with a variety of toys, books and we play with them for a while.  He's also a good eater and comes with rice cakes or blueberries.  He ate so many blueberries one day, I was afraid to give him anymore.  We go outside where he likes to watch the birds or tear up dandelions.  It's all good and I love it.  Last week I told Timmy, "You know, yesterday, watching Cove, my knees didn't hurt once".  He's like a tonic.  And the books are a part of it.

I read in the NY Times about a pediatrician who gives each child that comes to the office a book.  And the parent is given the prescription - "Read to the child everyday." Studies have shown that this results in brighter, happier kids.  I also read in the paper that volunteers are reading to abused dogs.  They pick a book, any book, and sit by the caged dog and read to him.  It said at first the dog cowers in the corner, and then lulled and eased by the steady reading, comes closer and closer to the reader, eventually, out of the cage, and even leaning on the person. 

I don't read to Cove yet, we just look at the books.  He had one with fuzzy animals that he could pull the fuzz.  He liked to chew on one of the books "Not in the mouth, not in the mouth" I would say.  I think his mother found a book that was child safe for eating.  Timmy and I used to read to each other, all the Harry Potter books.  Now we listen to tapes before I go to sleep.  No matter what age, or even if you are a dog, there is something to it.

No comments: