Monday, November 12, 2007

How do you start a B&B? Good question. Pretty basic I thought, Bed and Breakfast - an idea I had had for some time for the apartment over the garage. In the summer of 1991 I took early retirement from Kingston IBM and also evicted terrible tenants from the apartment, so the timing seemed perfect. Now for a little research. There were several B&B's in Rhinebeck at the time. My friend Chrissy and I thought we'd visit three of them right in the Village, and take a look around. We didn't think we should announce what we were doing, so instead, we would tell the owners that Chrissy's daughter was getting married and we were looking for places for the guests to stay. I've known Chrissy since 1981 when both us attended a Financial Aid Workshop at Well's College. At that time I was working for Bard College and she was working at Marist. Back then I only had one grandson, Jeremy, who was one and he called me Loggy Linds. Originally, his two grandmothers were Grams (not me, the other one) and Groggy (me). That evolved to Loggy Linds, a name that only Chrissy still uses for me. Anyway, we set off on our adventure. The three B&B' s were pretty much the same. The single rooms, some with private baths, were all upstairs, with a sitting room downstairs for the guests to use. The homes were beautiful, one very ornate, with heavy draperies on the window, flowered wallpaper and a four poster bed. The bathrooms showed the age of the houses, claw foot tubs, one tub sitting right in the middle of the bathroom. "Loggy," Chrissy whispered to me. "This is nothing like your place." She was right. I didn't have a traditional B&B. I had an apartment. We went to Foster's for lunch to think about this. "I'd rather stay at your place then one of those fussy rooms," Chrissy said. And I believed her. I would too. I had two bedrooms, large living room, kitchen with full size stove and refrigerator, modern bath with a tub and shower. And it was private. Nobody else would be watching tv with you or sharing the bathroom shelf. "Can I call it a B&B?", I asked Chrissy. "Why not! Once they know they're getting a whole apartment to themselves, they won't care. Do you think they would rather have a place to themselves or those awful drapes on the windows?" She was right. So what if it didn't fit Rhinebeck's version of a B&B. Research successfully completed, we agreed.

No comments: