Wednesday, November 7, 2007

This is my first posting. The reason I wanted a blog was to share some of the experiences of running a B&B for the last 14 years and also relating what living in the Village of Tivoli for the last 40 years has meant to me. The B&B is actually an apartment over the garage, with two bedrooms, full bath, kitchen, living room and a large deck that overlooks the gardens. We are located about five minutes from Bard College, so we get a lot of parents and students visiting the school, New York City residents on a weekend away and Tivoli families who have their relatives stay with us. I thought of a slogan "we put your family up when you won't" but you have to be careful of the guests' feelings. I don't call them guests, I call them "people". I will warn my grandchildren if they are getting too noisy. "Be quiet - there's people upstairs" or I will tell Timmy ,"The people will be here about six. " Timmy is my partner in this undertaking. He has been my companion for the last 21 years and he as Chef Tim cooks the omelettes and makes the fuit plates and carries the enormous tray up the stairs to the Bird's Nest. He also likes to clean the kitchen, especially the sink so there is not one water drop to be seen. When we first started the B&B, I was told by a Poughkeepsie B&B owner, "You have to be nuts to be in this business." At the time, I thought he was referring to having complete strangers stay in your house. But after all these years, I know there is more to it than that. My Uncle Joe who is 88 will look at my brother, sisters and myself and knowingly say, "You know, there is insanity in our family." So I guess that's why we've lasted 14 years....most B&B owners call it quits after 5 years.

No comments: