Friday, December 25, 2009

This morning, before eight, I went to watch Sabra's boys open their presents and on the way home I heard the loud rat-tat-tat of a woodpecker, a big woodpecker sound. Could it be the piliated woodpecker? Yes, he flew right over my head and then from the back yard the loud squawk of another woodpecker, and another piliated woodpecker flew over. My heart pounded as I got this rush, this feeling that Maria was saying Merry Christmas Ma. A wonderful gift on this gray but beautiful Christmas morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda, I am so glad Maria gave you a special gift on Christmas Day. Ria gave us all so many gifts, her love and compassion, her greatest gift of all. I love you Ria and all my family. May Ria continue to bless us with her gifts and love. M.

Tivoli Bird's Nest said...

Yesterday I went to Beacon to visit my family and my sister Diane showed me a letter she had found from Maria. Maria wrote: Uncle Joe asks me if I have seen Aunt Lillian (this was after Lillian's death) and I think a woodpecker might be her. The woodpecker hangs around my feeder and is not afraid when I get near. The letter was missing the end - symbolical I thought - but maybe, just maybe, that's where the piliated woodpecker comes in - not the little one without a red head, but the big red headed one.