Monday, October 18, 2010

Back from Oysterfest, six days at Wellfleet. Years ago, probably at least 6 now, one day Ria and I took Ava and Regina to Duck Harbor during our summer vacation. The girls were in a bad mood and they kept fighting and bickering, until Maria couldn't stand it anymore and drew a line down the sand. "Here," she said, "Regina, you stay on this side of the line and Ava, you stay on the other side." The kids mumbled, but obeyed, each going on their side of the line drawn in the sand. Regina went off a ways, but Ava stayed near the line, bending down into a huddle. She picked up a stick and was making marks in the sand. Curious, I went over to see what she was doing, and saw that she had written in the sand, "I miss my hole family". Now I thought this was pretty spectacular, the kid was only five, and the only mistake was the hole for the whole. I showed Ria and we discussed it, because Ava was there without the family she lived with...she probably did miss the hole. And that's how I was feeling this past week, like I was missing my hole family.

Oh, Timmy was there with me, we did crossword puzzles, sat in the sun, ate at the Lobster Pot, but something, just something was missing. I know it was my family. Maria always came out with Regina, and Laura, Michael and Atticus had made it out too. My nephew John and his family would visit for a day, but this year there was no family. Even at the Oysterfest, something was off...my friend Jackie and her husband would meet us there, but that ended when Jackie died two years ago, the summer after Maria.

My hole family...missing the W and then I thought a W is an upside M...M for Maria. This only made it worse, but things changed Sunday morning when I went to Mass. The church is almost brand new, Our Lady of Lourdes in Wellfleet. Entering, the first thing I saw was a giant seashell filled with holy water to dip ones fingers in. I sat down on the pew and then the next thing that caught my eye was the stained glass window over the altar...It was a W and a M combined. (Like in Mad, Mad World, I felt like I had discovered the "THE BIG W" that they were all looking for where the treasure was buried.] The W and the M.

I don't know what the symbol means, I couldn't find it on the internet..but it is definitely a W and an M interwoven, with a crown on top and flowers on either side. The W missing in Ava's sentence found the M that I was missing. It was wonderful and my outlook on life changed - I went back to the cottage and the yearly road race had started. I clapped as the runners went by and they all gave me big smiles, peace signs, yelled thanks, it was heartwarming. One woman went by and as I clapped she broke into a big smile and yelled "This is my first race", "You're doing great," I yelled back. I tell you seeing that M and W together was a dam breaker. The world seemed right.

Later, I told Timmy, maybe next year, if there is a next year, we will rent a really big house so my hole family can come out and join us. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found the symbol, Mom. It's a Marian Symbol. Some of the icons even say "Maria". How neat is that!

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php?topic=3422633.0