Sunday, October 3, 2010

Yesterday while leaving the Street Painting, Regina and I passed through the old Methodist Church yard. "Linny," she asked, "why do churches always have windows you can't see through?" My first response was "to keep the devil from looking in", but then I thought and said, "or to keep the people inside paying attention, and not looking out the windows." Today at Mass, the priest talked about stain glass windows (a coincidence that is occuring so often any more that I don't even question it).

The priest said that during the Renaissance, when churches were being built all over Europe, most of the parishioners could not read, so the windows became the story tellers of the Bible, of the life of Christ, etc. St. Sylvia's has the sacraments on the side walls. My usual seat is near confession...one half of the window shows Jesus forgiving sins, the other half of the window shows a man in a confessional booth with a priest. I don't know if they even do that now, go into the confessional. You used to go behind a curtain, waiting your turn, making sure the person ahead of you had left. The confessional booth had two sides, the priest sat in the middle with a little window he would open on one side, hear the confession, close it tightly (you could still hear the loud talkers) and open the other. That was a dramatic moment, the moment you heard the window open, the Latin words being spoken by the priest, and then "Bless me father, for I have sinned..." No turning back, but I bet many wished they could bolt out of that box.


My last confession was face to face and it had been so many years that the priest had to keep urging me on, "work with me Linda". I was shocked. Confession when I was a kid was one sided, your recital of everything bad you had done...you told the priest your sins..if you didn't give a number, or a vague number like "a few" he would stop - almost visibly hold up his hand, "how many is a few? More than five, more than ten?" pinpointing it down, while you wished you were anywhere but in that booth, with that man. Oh, it was an ordeal - confession. Something the kids today probably don't even know about. If they made that stain glass window of confession today, it would probably be a priest smiling, with little birds singing and rabbits jumping, like a scene from Snow White and the confessor wearing a big smile.

Laura did a Street Painting yesterday that looked like a stain glass window. It was of God creating the world and he is pictured with an instrument actually designing and measuring the details. Sabra and Tony did a woman being hugged by a bear, Regina did birds in a tree and I did the Guinness Toucan bird, with "A lovely day for a Guinness" above a colorful Toucan balancing a pint of beer on his beak. I wrote "For Margaret" on the bottom, because Margaret did this bird with me in 2002 in the Black Swan patio. She also did one of Regina and did the first one ever with me on Clay Hill Road of Mona Lisa Rabbit. Margaret was a great artist and a great friend. Street Painting Day has so many memories of her, Maria, of all those years my family worked so hard with me on this event. Trish spoke with me yesterday, saying all that I put into that event, but I responded that I got so much more out of that day than I ever put into it. And I surprised myself because I really meant that.

No comments: