Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Yesterday was Regina's 13th birthday and there was a party at her house.  It was the usual crowd, Regina had a bunch of friends, too cold to swim in the pond, but just right to sit on the porch and see the mountains.  Kevin had moved one of the living room couches on the porch, and that is where something happened that has impressed me and stayed in my head.  Rachael's little cousin was standing looking at the couch, when Rachael lifted her and put her on the couch.  Marysol immediately put her head down on one of the big soft pillows and looked tired.  And Rachael said, "Do you want to go hi-e-hi-e?"

Now this was something I had heard all my life.  Grandma Burky said it, Bucky said it a million times - "Let's go hi-e-hi-e", "Close your eyes and go hi-e-hi-e".  I said it to my kids, rocking them to sleep.  It was almost a lullaby -hi-e-hi-e.  And here years later Rachael is saying it.  I looked at her and said, my mother said that all the time, and Rachael eyes changed and she said, "Mom used to say that".  I just thought that was so significant, a siimple made up word, or maybe it sounds like that in my Grandmother's language, but there it was generations later.  I hadn't said or thought of hi-e-hi-e for years and then it pops up.  Family - don't ever underestimate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And that is what it is all about.....one generation passing to the next something as simple as a lullaby expression.
God Bless you grandma, bucky and Maria.....You are always in our heart.