Sunday, January 6, 2013

Timmy and I have been engaged for over 25 years.  We met 26 years ago and have lived together for the past 25 years.  In Sunday's NY Times they had an article on how people, unmarried, living together refer to each other.  There are the usual ones:  boyfriend, way too silly for someone who is 70.  Then there is special friend or friend, that is just stupid.  Partner is too cold, lover is too sexy, and significant other has been outdated for years, although you still do see it in obituaries.  Anyway, the Times had some suggestions.  Fusband, for future husband (not likely) or fake husband (I like that).  One woman called him "mi hombre" which is kind of nice.  My man.  And the census bureau penned a title, Person of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, or POSSLQ pronounced "Possiecue". Statisitically, there are a lot of us.

All this came to bare two weeks ago when I was admitted to the hospital.  The first question was easy, Are you married?  "No," I replied quickly.  Later, I was asked "Do you live alone?"  Apparently, a routine question upon dismissing a patient, meaning is there anyone there to help you.  This one slowed me down.  How do I refer to Timmy?  Then, I gave my usual comment, "No I live with Mr. Haley."  The nurse just put the information into the computer.  Thank God she didn't say Who is Mr. Haley?  I guess now I can say my "Possiecue", sounds kind of like a type of dog.  But Mr. Haley kind of sounds like a dog too. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...Funny Blog this week!!!

Michael/Laura said...

I like Mr. Haley. I am going to say that from now on!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Haley would be a GREAT name for a dog! nancy and Tim have just adopted a dog, Mister Jiggs....Love, K